The 7 Most Powerful Healing Nutrients on the Planet
This is a quick overview of some of the most powerful, healing, calming, grounding, and strengthening nutrients that you may be lacking – and can derive immediate benefit from – starting today! So, let’s get started.
1. Magnesium is the body's primary "anti-stress" mineral, and works in conjunction with the B-complex and its companion nutrients, lithium and zinc in providing a calming, strengthening effect on the nervous system. Not widely known, magnesium also provides powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory activity throughout the body. Over 300 enzymes in the human body depend on adequate levels of magnesium for their functioning. These enzymes are needed for energy production (mitochondrial function), antioxidant activity (e.g. SOD, GPx, catalase), neuroprotection, cardioprotection, and the healthy function of all our organs and tissues. Magnesium is depleted from our bodies due to high levels of stress, excessive calcium supplementation (or intake), excess refined sugar, caffeine, alcohol, certain drugs, boron deficiency (boron promotes magnesium retention), processed foods, and mineral depleted soils. 400-800 mg of magnesium per day coupled to an organic carrier molecule such as glycinate, ascorbate, or threonate are well-absorbed and utilized. Oxide and citrate forms of magnesium are rather poorly absorbed (<30% bioavailability), and act as osmotic laxatives, which you may or may not desire.
2. Zinc is important in mental alertness, learning, mood, energy production, and in strengthening our immune system. Along with a few other important elements (e.g. magnesium, lithium, selenium), zinc is also needed for neurogenesis – the formation of new neurons – and calms the body’s primary excitatory receptor system, the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDA-R). Just like magnesium, zinc deficiency can occur from prolonged stress, excess intake of refined sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and foods grown on mineral depleted soils. 15-30 mg of zinc per day coupled to an organic carrier such as citrate, glycinate, or monomethionine – are all well-absorbed and utilized, and is a safe and beneficial dose.
3. Lithium is found in trace amounts in fruits, vegetables, and grains, but is found in highest concentration in two animal sources – milk and eggs – where it’s needed for rapid growth and development. It was the "secret ingredient" in the original 7-UP that lifts mood, and protects the brain and nervous system against a wide-variety of toxins. In fact, 7-UP was first marketed as a hangover remedy with the slogan, "takes the ouch out of grouch". Your body needs lithium for vitamin B12 and folate utilization, growth factor production, neuromodulation, neuroprotection, and the formation of new neurons (ie. neurogenesis). Just like magnesium and zinc – as a water-soluble nutrient – lithium is depleted by many of the same factors including caffeine, alcohol, stress, trauma, and excess sodium and refined sugar. Extra lithium is also needed to offset the increased levels of fluoride in our food and water. Fluoride binds to lithium forming an insoluble precipitate of lithium fluoride (LiF) reducing lithium bioavailability to plants and animals. Nutritional doses of lithium are typically in the range of 5-20 mg per day, and is comparable to taking 15-30 mg per of zinc with respect to nutritional dosing.
4. Selenium is essential for production of the powerful antioxidant enzyme, glutathione peroxidase (GPx), thyroid function, a strong immune system, and for protection against heavy metals such as mercury, arsenic, cadmium, lead, and excess fluoride exposure. Like magnesium, lithium, and zinc - selenium is also important in healing processes, and neurogenesis. Selenium is depleted by environmental toxins such as mercury, arsenic, and glyphosate. 150-200 mcg of supplemental selenium per day is safe and beneficial, and is best taken in the organic forms of high-selenium yeast, selenomethionine, or selenium glycinate.
5. Molybdenum activates detoxifying enzymes in the body for the metabolism of sulfites and aldehydes, which can promote neuro-irritation (neuro-inflammation) when allowed to accumulate or in sensitive individuals. Molybdenum works with magnesium, selenium, zinc, and lithium to boost levels of the powerful antioxidant enzyme, glutathione peroxidase. Molybdenum is depleted by stress, and environmental chemicals such as glyphosate, and excess copper consumption. 150-300 mcg of molybdenum (glycinate or citrate) per day is a safe and beneficial level. If you’re running a little low in this important mineral, as little as 100 mcg per day can offer wide-ranging benefits in mood, energy, and cognitive function through improved cellular detoxification and a healthier body, brain, and metabolism.
6. B-complex vitamins are critically important to a wide range of energy producing, stress-reducing (promotes healing), homeostatically balancing processes in the body. If you’re low or deficient in just one B-vitamin such as B1 (thiamine) or B12 (methylcobalamin), energy production will decrease, healing processes will be impaired, and you’re probably not going to be feeling too great on a number of levels. The B-complex are depleted by the same factors that promote the loss of ALL water-soluble nutrients (e.g. magnesium, zinc, lithium, vitamin C) – excess intake of refined sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and chronic stress – common to millions of Americans, and hundreds of industrialized nations around the world.
7. Vitamin C is one of the most underappreciated nutrients mostly because it’s so widely available and we’ve grown accustomed to always having it around. Vitamin C isn’t as chic as alpha-lipoic acid or N-acetyl-cysteine, but the truth is, it’s an exceptionally important nutrient that is absolutely foundational to our health, energy production, antioxidant systems, healing processes, and the detoxification of various toxins and heavy metals. 1,000-3,000 mg per day (or more, if desired) of vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid (most electron-rich form) or as a buffered form such as calcium or magnesium ascorbate offer multiple benefits, especially when taken in conjunction with the aforementioned nutrients.
And remember, with all nutrients, quality is key. So, get the highest-grade, top-tier products whenever you can. I hope this information brings greater joy, happiness, and healing to your life, and to those you love.